Monday, April 23, 2012

The Frankenstein Baby Blanket.

I came up with the idea of saving my daughters boxes upon boxes of baby clothes instead of selling them to somebody (which there will be PLENTY left over to do so.) and turning the pieces into a rag blanket.

I began my journey by digging into the depths of my closet. Diaper box after diaper box. I dug out about 10 onesies from newborn to 3 months. All of which my daughter wore for mere days before she was quickly moving into 6 month at 3 months old, and now 12 month clothes and shes 7 months!

I saw a bunch of articles on rag rugs. Using the same basic method, I took each onesie with my fabric shears and cut the hems off and the collars and sleeves. I then when and cut what is best described as a very very long and meandering spiral with about 1/2 inch of fabric to make one long piece of fabric. I then tied what would be the disassembled front side to the disassembled back side with a tight knot.

Disclaimer: I am still in process of making this and have no idea how this is going to hold up in the washing machine. The fabric is a very small ribbed type and I am not sure if it is going to fray. I need to find out and update when I know.

So i take all these bits and made a chain until i was happy with the width of the blanket. I then did 1 sc in the 2nd ch from my hook. And single crocheted all the way across, chain 1, turn, repeat.

The time consuming part is taking apart all these bits of clothes. So far, I have 3 onesies into the blanket and each onesie is yielding about one row for me, give or take a few stitches. I intend on using some of her 6 month clothes that are a bit thicker, like pants and making strips for fringe.

Will update when I have photos and bit more finished of it. I will be pretty upset if this does not stay together.

The next experiment will probably involve ruining a few burp cloths. You would get MUCH more length of fabric using a full sized receiving blanket or burp cloth.

No comments:

Post a Comment